Classmate and Cadre Biographies

Post-OCS Biography - Steve Koppenhoefer
posted 4-02
Following OCS graduation, I was assigned to the Third Inf. Division (Mechanized) and posted to Charlie Company, 1st Bn 7th Infantry in Aschaffenburg, Germany, as weapons platoon leader. While in Germany I was able to spend a terrific TDY assignment on a project called OPERATION FIRST LOOK at RAF Greenham Common, a WWII D-day invasion airport, in England. Though Germany was supposed to be a two-year tour, in January of 1969 the Army began drawing combat arms lieutenants out of 7th Army for duty in Viet Nam, me included.

After a leave and two weeks in Jungle Warfare School in Panama, I joined the 2d Bde 12th Cavalry, First Cavalry Division, located in Tay Ninh Province (War Zone C). I took over from a terrific platoon leader named Bob Ingalls, a mixed blessing, since the platoon had to wonder how any new guy could match up to him. I got shot in a firefight, but not seriously enough to evacuate. I eventually became company XO and then assistant to the Brigade S-3.

After Viet Nam I returned to finish school at Illinois State University, receiving my BS in Education in January of 1971. I taught high school chemistry and science for two years, became a piano tuner, a house painter, a building contractor, a real estate broker, and an operations director for a marketing services firm. At 32 I joined IBM and had a 17-year run before leaving to form my own business-consulting firm in 1993. In 1996 I accepted an offer from Hewlett-Packard to join their consulting organization, where I work today.

In 1972 I married Sue (and her three year old daughter Lisa), and we had five more children, for a group of six, three boys and three girls. Among our older children are an insurance claims adjuster, an attorney, an accountant, and a nurse. Our two youngest are finishing up schooling and will soon be starting careers in physical therapy and in heating, ventilation, and air conditioning.
The Koppenhoefer Family
Post-OCS Biography - Dave Heminger
updated 7-05
After OCS I was stationed at Fort Ord as a training officer for 6 months prior to flight school. Enroute to flight school, Cindy and I were married. Immediately after flight school I transitioned to CH-47’s, which I flew in RVN for the 132nd ASHC (Americal) in I Corps. When I returned, I commanded 3 companies (an MP and a Warrant Officer Candidate company at Ft. Wolters TX, and a CH-47 company at Fort Hood, TX). After IOAC, the Army was good enough to help me complete my degree at the University of Albuquerque. In 1978 I left the service after 12 years of active duty.

I began selling for Olin Corp. and during the next 6 years I moved up the ranks to general management. I’ve been leading manufacturing companies ever since. I am currently the President and CEO of the Ameri-Forge Group Inc. in Houston, TX.

Cindy and I are still happily married after 37 years. We have 2 daughters (ages 34 and 32). Of course, this also brings sons-in-law, of which we also have one remaining. Heidi, our oldest daughter, is a Human Resources Manager. She and her former husband have given us our wonderful granddaughter, Ashley, who turned five in February, 2005. Tammy, our youngest daughter, is an M.D. who graduated first in her class at the University of Oklahoma. She is currently finishing the last year of a 3-year residency in ophthalmology at OU. Her husband, Rob, is a golf pro and a small business owner.
The Heminger Family
Post-OCS Biography - Richard "Mike" Edelman
posted 4-02
After OCS I was assigned to an INF BN in Schofield Barracks, HI — tough duty but someone from our class had to do it (5 actually). Spent 2 years in HI serving as BN S2, INF PLT LDR, and INF CO CDR. Married my hometown girl in WV and returned to HI where our son, Jeffrey, was born. Left HI in Nov 69 for RW Flight School, followed by a tour in RVN. Served with the 116th AHC, 14th CAB from Sep 70 to 71 as PLT CDR and ASST S3 - Chu Lai, I Corps, as part of the Americal (23rd Infantry) Division. Lots of flight time, wounded once (slightly), but had a great tour. Returned to Ft Hood from 71-73 as BDE S4, HHC CDR of S&T BN, 2AD. Our daughter, Karen, was born at Ft Hood. Then off to Ft Benning for IOAC and Airborne School, followed by Degree Completion at WV Institute of Tech. After school, Nancy and I were off to Ft Campbell where I served 4 yrs as a CO CDR (HHC and AHC) and BN staff officer. In 1980 we transferred to Berlin for over 3 yrs, followed by the CGSC at Ft Leavenworth. Then on to the Pentagon. I completed my Army career in the Pentagon in 1991, retiring as a LTC in the Avn Branch.

After leaving the Army (24 yrs active and 4 yrs as sr civilian employee) I worked for 2 yrs as a Program Manager in a LAN/WAN company in Arlington, VA, followed by my current position (5 yrs now) as a VP with Anteon Corp. in Fairfax, VA doing IT work.

Nancy and I divorced in 1988 after 20 yrs and I was a single parent for a while. I have since re-married to a wonderful lady, Diane Cabrales, who has 4 children. We currently reside in McLean, VA. My son, Jeffrey (33 in May) - VA Tech, Civil Engineer works in Fairfax, VA and getting married in Sep. My daughter, Karen (29) - Radford Univ. and Catholic Univ. Law School, lives in Brooklyn, NY, is married and an Asst. DA in Manhattan. My wife, Diane, has 4 children: Christina - Radford Univ., working in Burlington, VT; Gina - U.S. Naval Academy, a Marine 1LT aircraft maintenance officer in San Diego; Angela - James Madison Univ., working in Washington, DC; and Robert - entering the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY this Jul to become a Chef.

I’m looking forward to our reunion and hearing from all of you and hopefully seeing your biography on our web page—thanks to Dave.
Post OCS Biography - Greg A. Smith
posted 4-02
After OCS graduation on 5 February, Denise and I were married in Webster Groves, MO on 10 February. 2LT Steve Sumner was best man. Denise and I began the journey back to Fort Benning where I was assigned as the training officer for 83rd Company, 8th Student Battalion (NCOC). One of my graduates later served as a staff sergeant with me in RVN. I attended Jungle Warfare School (TDY) prior to reporting to B/3/1 (Americal) in January 1969. I served as 1st platoon leader before transferring to the recon platoon, and later to HHC as the S-3(air). I ended my tour on 3 January 1970.

I transferred to the Missouri Army National Guard on 1 March 1970 and continued my career in the reserve components until retirement on 1 December 1993. My last of many assignments was as the Commandant of the Missouri Military Academy where we taught all NCOES and OCS students. I was inducted into the Fort Benning OCS Hall of Fame in 1991.

Denise and I have two children. Adrianne is a school teacher in Springfield, Illinois. She was born while I was in RVN. Denise brought her to Hawaii for R&R when she was six months old. Our son, Tyler, is married to Erika and they are the parents of our grandson, Willem. Tyler and Erika run their own business in St. Louis, Missouri.

My civilian career has been with Allmerica Financial in claims management.
The Greg A. Smith Family
Post OCS Biography - Paul Comegys

posted 6-02
From OCS, went to jump school at Benning, married my wife of 33 years, Sally-she came up from Miami twice for dances at Benning (was it when we turned Black? then for Blue Formal). We were married at Benning, after jump school. Went to 8th Special Forces in Panama for approx. 11 months, then to the 5th Special Forces in RVN. Assigned to CCC/SOG, then back to HQ in Nha Trang. No special decorations-2 Bronze Stars w/V, CIB, etc.,etc. Got out in Feb 70. Had a reserve A team in Miami with the 11th SFGA. Offical discharge in 1983.

Education and career: BA, MBA, JD, University of Miami, worked in medical equipment-electronics, devices, etc. Helped develop some patented devices. Retired six years ago, and we moved to Sarasota from Miami. Currently do consulting for GE Medical Systems.

Hobbies: Crummy Golfer, fish, play with my motorcycles, and we travel a lot.

3 kids: 27, 25, and 14 - same wife!
Post OCS Biography - James Alkek
posted 6-02
Military Units:
1968-1969 - Advisory Team 46, Khanh Hoa Province, Dien Khanh District, Phoenix DIOCC Officer
1969-1970 - 502nd MI Detachment, XO, 2nd Armored Division, Ft Hood, Tx
1970-1974 - 444th Research & Development Detachment

Education & Professional:
University of Texas, BBA-Accounting 1974
CPA, Texas-1978

50% Owner, Secretary/Treasurer-Desert Sands Aircraft Leasing Co.
Accounting & Systems Consultant for Resources Connection, Inc. assigned to Shell Oil Co.

United States Parachute Association member and active jumper with over 700 freefall skydives (see photos on Current Photos webpage).

Personal: Married, Janice Zimmerman, MD, one son.

National Adjutant of Counterparts/Truong Huu Dong Nam A, an association of veterans of the Second IndoChina War who served in advisory capacities and their foreign counterparts
Post OCS Biography - Forrest "Skip" Allison
posted 6-02
It's been a lot of years but just like one good joke reminds you of another, one good OC story reminds you of another. Look forward to hearing more.

Last guys I ran into from the class were both in RVN in 68/69 - Lee Boatwright from 1st Platoon and Merle Easton, 5th Platoon TAC.

Spent 30 years in the Reserves after 3 years AD - 17 years in a Civil Affairs Co., then an inter-service transfer to Naval Intelligence for 13 years (don't ask). Retired after 32 years in the auto industry with GM and American Axle (Buffalo and Detroit), short stint with a customs broker in Detroit, 9 months ADSW at the Pentagon to finish out my Reserve career. Retired as a Captain.

Now work for a defense contractor, Information and Infrastructure Technologies, Inc., An EWA Company, in Herndon, VA. Married to Susan since 1970 (Met while I was in Intel School at Ft. Devens).

Have a daughter, Jill. University of Michigan grad, works for Doner Advertising in Detroit, married to Rod Rodavich, a manager for GM. Also a son Scott, a U of M grad who just completed an MBA at Georgetown. He will be working for Pepsi in Purchase, NY beginning in August. He also spent a few years with J.D. Power in Detroit. Love to hear from any of the other 1st Platoon guys.
Post OCS Biography - Ronald "Ronnie" Riche
posted 6-02
Served in Vietnam 11 Nov 69 - Nov 70. Recvd. VN CG, ARCOM, and (of couse)the CIB, as almost all of our guys probably did. Left active service in 1971 and joined the LARNG, leaving in 1987 with the rank of Major, Chemical. Graduated University of the State of New York, BA Chemistry/History. Own a consulting company that serves the Louisiana sugar cane industry. Riche Scientific, Inc. Website
Nice to see the pictures of the guys. Regret seeing that we lost some of them. Shackleford was a friend of mine and I hated to see that he lost his life in a training accident. He was determined to be a chopper pilot. At the time I thought he was so lucky to get the assignment. No guarantees anywhere in those days.
Post OCS Biography - Bill Whitaker
posted 6-02
After OCS I went to jump school and then to Fort Campbell, KY. My visit to southeast Asia was with the 173rd Airborne Brigade (Separate). I returned to Fort Hood, TX, assigned as company commander and battalion staff until February 1971.

I married Andrea in 1969 and if anyone can believe it, we're still married! We have a wonderful daughter who is enrolled at the University of Texas. She is in the Longhorn Band and plans on being an elementary teacher.

I spent 27 years with the Austin Police Department. We live in Pflugerville, TX, which used to be a small farming community near Austin but now is almost a suburb of Austin. I'm enjoying my retirement gardening, reading, and doing what my wife and daughter want me to do.

I hope to attend the reunion and look forward to hearing from everyone.
TAC Officer Biography - Chris Scudder
posted 6-02
1LT Scudder (I was promoted before arriving in Viet Nam) left Fort Benning in time to dodge rockets on landing in Viet Nam during the Tet Offensive in 1968. He managed to survive all of those battles, serving with the 25th Infantry Division, only to be severely wounded during a night ambush outside Dau Tieng in the Michelin rubber plantation. One of the officers in his battalion, and present when he was brought to the aid station, was CPT Patrick McCarthy.

Chris convalesced in Harrison, and then returned to Fort Benning to serve as an OCS Company Commander in the 6th Battalion. Subsequent Army assignments for him and his family included overseas to an assignment with the 8th Special Forces Group in Panama; duty as the Adjutant General, 19th Support Command, in Korea; another Viet Nam tour; and to Forts Benjamin Harrison, Rucker, and Stewart. In Washington, DC, he was assigned to the Pentagon to work in the Office of The Adjutant General as the Army Staff Point of Contact for Reserve Component Quality of Life Issues.

Chris' final Army tour prior to retirement as a Major was as Adjutant General, and later Deputy Director for Personnel and Community Activities at the National Training Center, Fort Irwin, California. His military awards and decorations include the Combat Infantry Badge, three Bronze Stars, the Purple Heart, two Meritorious Service Medals, three Army Commendation Medals, the Republic of Viet Nam Medal of Honor, and various other service medals.

Chris and his family remained in California after his retirement. Pamela worked with his mother as a negative cutter in the movie industry, and he worked for City National Bank in Beverly Hills as operations officer for the Trust Department. After his daughters were out of the house, he and Pamela returned to Harrison, Arkansas.

His daughters both are married. Shannon was a film editor with Disney Television, and married Mark, a Canadian and a lead animator with Walt Disney Productions with his work including Esmeralda, the female lead in the Disney picture, "Hunchback of Notre Dame." Jennifer, the younger, was the Director of Feature Development for the Family Channel. That means she and her staff read books and plays, looking for something interesting enough for the Family Channel to use for a movie. Her husband Michael, from London, England, is a film editor, having worked on "Shindler's List," "The Haunting of Hill House," and "Saving Private Ryan."

Pamela and Chris are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. For over three and a half years he served as Bishop of the Harrison Ward in Arkansas serving members in Boone and Newton, and most of Marion and Searcy counties. He later served in the High Council of the Springfield Missouri South Stake. Pamela has served in a number of Church positions, including that of Ward Relief Society President.

Chris serves his community as Executive Director of the American Red Cross Ozark Mountains Chapter. He is a member of the Boone County Democratic Central Committee, and volunteers as a Unit Commissioner with the Boy Scouts. He is a member of Rotary International. Pamela has been active in the community serving as Director of the Third Congressional District, Arkansas Democratic Women; President of the Harrison Newcomers Club; President of the Boone County Extension Board; President of the Hoe and Hope Garden Club, and member of the Daughters of the American Revolution. She works as a substitute school teacher at Central Elementary School in Harrison for grades 5 and 6.

That's all that is fit to print. I am interested in keeping in touch.

Post-OCS Biography - Mike Colbert
posted 7-02
After we graduated I went to my apartment, changed into fatigues and was a TAC in 90th company. I escaped and went to flight school in October of 68. I was with the 192 AHC at Phan Thiet in August 69 to August 70. One of my early missions was picking up a company in the field and moving them to support another company in contact. The officer that got on the helicopter was non other than Lt James Magouyrk. We dropped him into a hot LZ and as I looked back over my shoulder he was giving me the ole high sign. A year later found me with the Razorback gun platoon of the 120 AHC in Nha Be just south of Saigon.

I branch transferred to the Military Police Corps on my return from RVN in May of 71. After assignments at Ft Hood (CID), Ft Jackson (CID), Hawaii (PM Ft Shafter), CGSC, Ft Riley (PM Big Red One--BN Cdr 716 MP Bn)and finally Bn Cdr Oklahoma City Recruiting Battalion. Retired in March of 1989.
My wife Delores (Dee) and I live in Drexel, North Carolina where I teach and coach football and track at East Burke High School. My daughter is 28 years old and is teaching school in Oklahoma City. My son is living here with his wife and our 16 month old grandson--Christopher Noah (Booger)
I am active with young people in Burke County and am active in my church. I thank the good Lord every day for allowing me to meet and share so many things with so many good men of OC 5-68.
TAC Officer Biography - Bill Cooper "Coop"
posted 7-02
It seems like the nickname "Ghost" was apt. I'm still here. Just got a letter from USAA and would be interested in meeting up with the platoon. I am in West Virginia where I practice law.

I made it out of VN and was riffed in 72. Went back to college and then on to law school. Many twists and turns since then. Went back to Nam in 2000 and had a real interesting trip. Drop me a line or give me a call.
Post-OCS Biography - Jim Magouyrk "Gurk"
posted 7-02
After graduation, Barb and I and our son Mike (born the 1st month of OCS)headed off to the the much desired (still trying to figure out why) Ft Carson. I was assigned to 1/10 Infantry, and stayed extremely busy. Went to Chicago twice Democratic Convention as an armed non delegate, and during the unsettling times following the assasination of MLK Jr. Fought range fires at Camp Red Devil and walked over the entire Pikes Peak National Forest with a rucksack big as the one I carried in Nam. I was in shape and in retrospect, realize the ability to walk up vertical obstacles was learned there and came in handy later. Jim Sullivan was also there and we did have some times, when we got a chance. If anyone hears from him, ask him about his car, the on ramp to nowhere and the farmers field.

Got to Viet Nam early in Dec 68 and was assigned to 3rd Battalion 506th Infantry, 101st ABN Div. Great unit, solid leadership and super troopers. Did some time as a platoon leader in Co C and later as an XO of Delta. Ran into Steve Menutti during an in country R&R at Vung Tau in May 69. Shared some good beer and bad stories. Later saw Mike Colbert. Actually, he put me down hot in some sideways LZ on some no name hill in Oct 69. I remember thinking how lucky I was to have cover while he had to hover and play target. I never envied the aviators, but did appreciate the support.

Left Nam and was assigned to Ft Ord. Did time as a Basic training company commander and later as the assistant S3 of the 1st Training Bde. Barb and I got to know each other again an produced a daughter, Nicole. Ran into my TAC Officer (Bill Cooper) there. Bill, just how did the sign for the Cooper Point School get in your back yard? Got tired of stateside duty in a hurry and realized I was an adrenaline junkie (was heavy into motorcycle racing at the time) and decided I needed to do something exciting again. Volunteered to go SF.

Quick trip to Ft Bragg to attend Special Forces Qualification Course and off to the 1st SF Group on Okinawa in 1971. Saw Kurt McGrath there. Went lots of places and did lots of neat things, and never got bored.

Came back to the "master bedroom" for the Infantry Officer Advanced Course in 74.

I got the RIF notice in the "we're not going to RIF any more reserve Captains" RIF in 75. Since I loved the Army and had many years invested by then (I was a NCO prior to going to OCS), I stayed in until retirement and then back to school to learn computer engineering. Thanks to luck I don't do that and actually do more applications than hardware. I'm currently the supervisor of the network operations center for the city of Tacoma's broadband network, which beats a homeless vet's street corner franchise.

Barb and I are still married (I think she just sticks around to see what I'll do next) and have one grandchild.
Post OCS Biography - Tom Waskovich
posted 7-02
My first assignment after graduation was as a TAC Officer in 62nd Company. I had volunteered for jump school, Special Forces and Vietnam and the Department of The Army was kind enough to grant all three requests. After completion of training I reported to 5th Special Forces Group in Nha Trang and volunteered for MACVSOG, CCC and ran a recon team and later a hatchet force platoon(SOG was just awarded a Presidential Unit Citation this past April at Fort Bragg).

When my tour was completed I returned to civilian life and went to college on the GI bill and graduated cum laude from Monmouth University. My career has been in government. I had served 6 years as an elected official, including 2 years as Mayor of Lacey Twp, NJ. I have held a number of State and County appointed posts in NJ including State Division Director of Veterans Services. My current job is Department Director of Transportation and Vehicle Sevices for Ocean County NJ.

My wife, Fern, and I went to high school together and we have four children and two grandchildren. Fern recently retired as a school teacher and we hope to permanently move to St, Augustine FL in the near future.
Post OCS Biography - John Larson
posted 8-02
I was commissioned in Military Intelligence branch and sent to Fort Holabird for the Aerial Surveillance Officer Course which was filled from the 97th OC Company and another from Fort Benning that graduated three or four days apart from us. In August 1968, I reported to MACV J2 for 12-months as an imagery interpretation team chief . I extended for 6-months to serve with the 73rd Surveillance Airplane Company first in Vung Tau then in Long Thanh North. Leaving Vietnam, I was assigned to the Surveillance & Exploitation Division of HQ, USAREUR in Heidelberg. I returned to Vietnam in May 1971 as an advisor to the ARVN 22nd Infantry Division operating in Kontum, Pleiku and Binh Dinh provinces.

Having escaped the first two RIFs and on orders for Fort Bragg, I left active duty to finish my degree. In 1974, I graduated from Culver-Stockton College in Canton, Missouri and got an MBA from Long Island University in 1975.

Through 1989 I served mostly in staff and command positions in the army reserve 24th Military Intelligence Battalion (ARS) at Fort Wadsworth in Staten Island, NY and as its commander for the last four of those years. After grad school I worked first at Manufacturers Hanover Trust (now JP Morgan Chase), then Bristol-Myers Company and Merrill Lynch in their EDP Audit areas. In 1985 I began to focus on client relationship measurement at Merrill Lynch.

In 1989 I moved to San Diego to work for General Dynamics in their Integrated Strike Planning area. In the reserve, I was assigned to the imagery intelligence directorate of US Army Intelligence and Threat Analysis Center in Washington, DC and later the Military Capabilities Division of the Ground Forces Intelligence Center. I supported Desert Storm from the Washington Navy Yard. I retired in 1996 as a colonel.

In 1991, I returned to Merrill Lynch to head its Service Analysis department. I took early retirement in 2002 during Merrill Lynch's most recent large layoff. I am currently doing SAS consulting and contract programming.

I am divorced and have a daughter, Angela, age 12, who lives with me in Hillsborough, NJ.
Post-OCS Biography - David Ward
posted 2-03
My name is Dave Ward and I was a member of Class 5-68, 6th Platoon. I served in RVN from 1969 to 1970 and was awarded the usual plus the purple heart, bronze star with valor cluster, air medal, distinguished unit award and CIB. I was ranger, airborne qualified and served with the 173rd Airborne Brigade - 1/503 C Company. Upon returning home, I served for two years with an airborne unit of the Texas National Guard leaving the service with rank of Captain. I graduated from the University of Texas and served for 30 years in Texas State government. I recently retired as the State Administrator (CEO) of the Social Security Disability Program in Texas. I am married and have one son attending Concordia University in Austin. I reside in Austin, Texas.
Post OCS Biography - Stevan Torres
posted 6-03
After leaving OCS I spent three more years on active duty. I was with the 18th MP Brigade in RVN serving as the Provost Marshall of Ben Hoa. After my return I went back to school at the University of Nebraska/Omaha where I got my BS in Criminal Justice and a beautiful wife. After school I was hired by the Illinois Bureau of Investigation in Chicago where I worked as a narc. In 1974, I was hired as a Special Agent, U.S. Treasury, Intelligence Division. Got my grad degree from De Paul University in Chicago. Jennifer, now 25, was born there. In 1977, I was hired by the FBI. After the FBI Academy at Quantico, Virginia, I was assigned to Kansas City, Missouri. Matthew, now 23, was born there. In 1982, I was transferred to Miami where I worked a variety of violations. I was promoted to Supervisory Special Agent in 1990. For the past several years I was supervising the Special Operations Group, but recently I changed squads. I now supervise a White Collar Crime Squad specializing in bank fraud, mail fraud, and wire fraud. I will retire just before the reunion. Cheryl and I recently celebrated our 31st anniversary. In case you were wondering about the e-mail address, I referee college and high school football, high school basketball, and umpire college and high school baseball. It keeps me out of trouble. Cheryl and I plan on attending the reunion.
Post OCS Biography - Hays Watson Moody
posted 6-03
Upon graduation I was assigned to the Third Infantry Division located in Asshafenburg, Germany. After a tour of nineteen months I was given orders for Vietnam. Once completing the Officers Orientation Course at Ft. Benning I arrived in RVN on Christmas Day 1969. There I was assigned to the Hqs. & Hqs. Co of the 426th Supply & Service Battalion, 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile). I spent six months working in S2 before being transferred to the S4 section as Major Weapons Control Officer. I was released from active duty at Ft. Lewis, Washington on December 20, 1970.

Returning to my hometown, Penney Farms, Florida, I found that to obtain meaningful employment I must move up to Jacksonville. Here I went to work for a small family owned furniture chain. I was employed with this company for about eight years as Executive Vice-President.

During this period of time my life took a downswing of my own creation. In February 1974, Nancy and I divorced after eleven years of marriage and four beautiful children. Later that same year I married a wonderful lady named Louise, who had two children.

Between us we have the six children, thirteen grandchildren, and three great-grand children.

In the fall of 1978 I had a life changing experience, when my gracious Savior brought me out of spiritual darkness into His marvelous light. In the summer of 1982 I surrendered to the call of the gospel ministry and entered seminary. I received my Master of Theology degree in May of 1987, then my Doctorate of Theology in May of 1991. I have been in the pastorate since 1986. And currently serve the Edgewood Heights Baptist Church as Senior Pastor, where I have been the last five years.
Post-OCS Photos and Biography - Curt Hardee
posted 8-03

I was commissioned in MI and was to go to a short school and straight to RVN. Mary Ann was expecting our first child and my father was already in RVN, so I claimed the “one male member at a time” exemption and was sent to Fort Holibird, MD to the counter intelligence school.

From there to Fort Bragg to the 14th MI BN of the Continental Intelligence Command. I was the XO of the counter intelligence company and then Commander of the interrogation company.

From there to RVN in April of 1970. Arrived on the day of the Cambodian incursion and finally went up country to Nha Trang to the HQ of First Field Forces Viet Nam. Biggest duty there was targeting for Binh Dinh, Khan Hua, and Phu Yen (SP) provinces. Also served as the OB officer and was responsible for security of the HQ and traveled occasionally to Cam Ranh Bay for physical security inspections. I served one tour; my father served one tour; and my brother served 2 tours as an aviator. Although both have passed, we all came home ok.

From RVN to a PCS for a two year degree completion at North Carolina State University. From there to Fort Huachuca for the MI advanced course and then to Fort Devens, MA where I headed up the Morse intercept department (among other things). The irony is that it was the same department I attended as an EM to learn Morse code intercept.

From there to Stuttgart, Germany in 1978 and worked for the EUDAC of EUCOM for 5 years. It was here that I finally got my first shot at Major and was passed over. I had never taken an RA commission (and never did). I was picked up the second round and decided to retire at the earliest opportunity. Command policy limited officers to a 5 year tour, so I headed back to Fort Bragg, NC for a 1 year sunset tour at the TRADOC side of the Special Warfare Center. I retired in June 1983 as a Major just as I was up for O-5.

We stayed in Fayetteville and remain here today. I became a real estate broker and eventually owned my own company. Five heart by-passes in 1994 caused me to seek a less stressful profession. Since that I time, I am a full time real estate instructor in a private school.

Mary Ann and I were married just before I went to Fort Benning. She was the President of our OC wives club and participated in the great hamburger delivery scheme of the 3rd platoon. Those stories will appear separately. Our daughter Patti was born in June 1968. Our son Brian was born in 1972 while I was at NC State. We have been married for 36 years thus far.

Mary Ann is an Ed Tech for the federal government school system at Fort Bragg. Until this writing, Patti was a teacher in the Chapel Hill school system and recently changed to a learning related job in Chapel Hill. Brian finished college in 3 years and went on to Yale Divinity School for 3 years and is now a UCC minister in Pottstown, PA. Patti has 3 daughters and Brian has 3 daughters and I love the attention I get from 6 granddaughters.

Post OCS Biography - David C. Sodamann
posted 8-03
Returned to service in 1991, when the National Guard needed prior service infantrymen to bring units up to strength for deployment. Enlisted as an E5, operations NCO in a mechanized infantry rifle company, Co. B, 2nd Bn. 137th IN, KSARNG. Now serving as an operations NCO in a high priority Paladin Artillery Battalion, 127th FA, KSARNG, and 18th Airborne Corps asset.

After OCS attended Ranger School and served in Korea, 3rd BN, 23rd In on the DMZ, then a combat zone. Returned to Fort Riley Kansas as staff officer in Post HQ. REFRAD 1971, joined old 89th Division, Army Reserve as a Basic Combat Training Company Commander and later S3. Went IRR in 1974, separated in 1979.

Post OCS Biography - Mike Sarff
posted 9-03
After graduation was assigned to TSB, first as a training officer in NCOCS, then as the guy who set up OCS leadership termination boards out of the brigade S-3 shop. That was fun, especially with a hangover. Roommates in Columbus were Rich Peters and Mark Scott. Went to the 1st Division as a platoon leader, and later was the aide to the Assistant
Division Commander. Working for BG Herb Wolff was a real education. Merle Easton was a piece of cake compared to this guy. Loved him however, and our family is planning to visit him in Hawaii in January 2004.

After RVN, taught platoon tactics at USAIS, later taught new instructors out of Bldg #4. Stayed there for advanced course, then joined the regular army (couldn't bear to get out). After that the army sent me to "bootstrap" to finish my biology degree at University of Minnesota, Duluth.

Branch wanted me to go to Korea, but I yelled at my assignments officer, so he sent me to Fort Polk. No problem - I love to fish (and did – a lot). I commanded an OSUT company, then (rightly) helped move infantry training back to Fort Benning as the Brigade S-3.

Had orders to go to Fort Knox to be the OE officer, but branch changed their mind and told me I was going to West Point as the EO officer. I yelled at my assignments officer again, saying he had his letters reversed, but he out-ranked me, and yelled back at me, so I lost that one. I spent half my time at West Point doing RR/EO work (first year of the female cadets), and the other half teaching psychology. Then, on to Command and General Staff College.

After CGSC, I didn't have to yell at my assignments officer, since he was a buddy from the psych department at West Point. He allowed me to go to airborne school (don't do that shit at 34) enroute to a three year assignment as battalion advisor to the Hawaii guard infantry unit on MAUI, HAWAII (luckiest guy in the whole damn army). Got married to Sandy there, and remember running into Mike Colbert.

I decided to get out at 20 years, so we looked away from primary staff assignments. When you tell that to your assignments officer, they get pissed off and send you to Fort Hood to coordinate operational testing for the Bradley Fighting Vehicle and other shit. Luckily, there was a general named Jim Drummond who made me his SGS. Whew!

Time to pick my terminal assignment. I wanted to go to Bemidji State (northern Minnesota) as the PMS. There was an artillery officer there, who hated Bemidji, so we both yelled at our respective assignments officer. We won that argument, mostly because Merle Easton taught me how to yell - really loud.

So, my last 5 1/2 years in the Army was as a ROTC PMS. I loved it, especially when they gave me command of the nurse regiment at Fort Lewis- two years in a row! (talk about letting the squirrel loose in the forest).

I retired from the Army in 1990, after 23 years. From then to 1994, I was a general manager for Marriott Management Services. That was a really fast lane, which caused us to move around the Midwest four times in as many years (usually around Christmas). When Marriott wanted me to go to Kalamazoo, MI to take over a plant in that, ”quaint, little college town,” Sandy looked me in the eye, and said, “You may go to Kalamazoo, if that is your choice, but the kids and I are going to Menomonie.” Wisely applying all that I learned from my Masters studies (in counseling), I listened, I heard, I understood, I formulated and evaluated courses of action, and I quickly agreed that “now” may be the ideal time to leave the Marriott nest. No yelling that day. My 2nd career was terminated.

Welcome to Menomonie, Wisconsin. Truly a quaint, little college town. We bought an old hay field with frontage on lower Tainter Lake, three miles north of town, and built “our last house“. Sandy went to work in Real Estate, I went to work as a customer relations manager at the local Chrysler dealership, and the kids went to study at the same schools as did Sandy and her Mother.

Currently, Sandy is a Broker at the local ReMax, Sara is cooking at the local Perkins and tending bar at a UW Stout “watering hole” (while she ponders her professional future), and Matt is a local high school sophomore. There will be no “pondering” for Matt. He has been given a direct, verbal order to, “graduate from UMD.”

After a mild and non damaging cardiac infarction in 1996, I have been working in Eau Claire, at Hutchinson Technology as a laborer. No more managin’ nothin! One week, I’ll work three (12 hour) days, and the next week, four days (a near perfect schedule for one who likes to work/putz around the yard, dock, house, and pole shed). As a registered (not bona fide) “cheese head,” I must maintain a heightened loyalty to Vikings football, Twins baseball, and UMD hockey. Fishing, hunting and the golf courses around here are okay, but living on a lake with three different taverns. An annual trek to the BWCA in northern Minnesota is necessary and appropriate for Matt’s proper development, and Mike’s mental wellness. All considered, life is good. Add a cold Budweiser, or some of my homebred European Pilsner, and life is great!

See you guys in April,

Post-OCS Biography - Mark G. Scott
posted 9-03
After graduation from OCS, I remained at Ft. Benning as a training officer for the NCOC program. During that time I had the pleasure of rooming with both Mike Sarff and Tom Waskovich. I also was fortunate enough to meet my wife Bernice, a nurse at Martin Army Hospital. After Bernice got her orders changed from Japan to Viet Nam by writing directly to President Johnson, we got married on our leave and flew to Viet Nam together. I was assigned to the 1/28th, First Infantry Division and went out in the field as a platoon leader. On April 17th, 1969 I was shot in the neck during a firefight; a relatively minor wound, but still sufficient to evacuate me out via the use of a jungle penetrator hoist system. After managing to smash my chin on the strut of the helicopter on the way in (several stitches to close wound), the enemy chose to open fire on the chopper once I was inside. We took 21 hits, wounding the medic and crew chief as well as giving me multiple additional wounds from bullets and shrapnel. At that point my unit radioed in to the Second Surgical Hospital to alert my wife that I was coming in. Unbeknownst to them, we only flew a few miles away before we lost power and crashed into a dry rice paddy. Thank God for auto-rotation, which I knew nothing about at the time! Eventually, we were rescued and I spent my recovery period at the Second Surg under Bernice’s watchful eye. The only other memorable thing that happened during that year was when Mike Sarff showed up on my 22nd birthday in General Wolf’s jeep to take me out celebrating!

After returning home and getting out of the Army, I went back to school and received my bachelors degree in Finance. Bernice remained in the Army for one more year, so it wasn’t until our third year of marriage that we actually lived together in a normal fashion. I joined the family insurance firm in 1971, were I am to this day. Still married, Bernice and I have two great sons, Bart (31) and Drew (24); Bart has been in the firm for 5 years, and Drew will be starting next month. We have four divisions, Insurance, Tax Preparation, Mortgages and Computer Solutions with 22 people, so I stay quite busy, but am hoping to retire “one of these days”.
Post-OCS Biography - Kenneth (Ken) C. Latta, Jr.
posted - 10-03
One of my old OCS classmates just told me about the site so I thought I would check in.

It is tough to know where to start. While it was good to stay at the "Benning School for Boys" after I graduated from OCS in Nov '67 a Tac Officer, it was like going through OCS again. So I volunteered to go to Nam, getting there in Aug '68. I was 1st Plt Ldr, D/1-8 Cav and lasted until Nov. I was wounded on Nov 22, Nov 23 and Nov 27 (a REALLY bad week) and medivaced out. (The first two were just a little shrapnel, the third a round through the wrist.) I went to Benning after I got out of the hospital and was Commander of a basic training unit and later Operations Officer for the Infantry Center. Then I went to Korea (after thinking I would go back to "Nam). When I got back I was going to get out but the Army sent me back under Bootstrap to get a degree (Business Admin) and I went to teach ROTC at East Tennessee State, where I was able to get an MBA. Then I went to Organizational Effective School at Ft. Ord, and to Ft. Leavenworth to Command and General Staff College. I stayed there as Post OE Officer, and was on orders to Germany. My orders were changed and I went to command the induction station (Military Entrance Processing Station) in Richmond, then to Ft. Lee, VA, as Operations Officer for the US Army Logistic Center. I retired in 1986 as an O-4, and worked in VA for about a year, then to Chattanooga for about seven years.

I now work in Nashville for WebMD as HR Manager, but live in Lynnville (about 70 miles). When my wife and I moved back to middle Tennessee we wanted an old house and a few acres. Our house was built in 1811 and we have 20 acres. We have three horses, two miniature horses, a great dane and two cats. All of this keeps us pretty busy.

We have four children (3 boys and a girl) and three grandchildren (2 boys ages 2 and 2 1/2 and a girl age 5).

I am sure this is more than anyone wanted to know. Hope the plans for the reunion go well.

Kenneth (Ken) C. Latta, Jr.
Post-OCS Biography - David Harshbarger
posted 12-03
After Gary Jones’ good looking sister pinned my bars on me, (commissioned MI) & a leave in Miami, I was assigned to Ft. Holibird w/ Vic Gunderson. We roomed together and tried to make every Dundock Dollie we could during our time there. Then went thru Ft. Lewis, WA in July 68, enroute to Korea, as a single replacement officer for the MI class that was sent there in response to the Pueblo capture. Company B 502nd MI Bn, Tracey Compound, Seoul. Great assignment ... plain clothes, no curfews, get out of jail free cards, that allowed you to do most anything without paying for the consequences! Spent two-years there, came home a Captain and brought home a great barber and wife! Went to Ft. Devens, MA to be the G-2 or Dptsec, as they called it, and enjoyed New England for 15-months. Then off to Ft Bragg for some RVN training where they taught us how to say "Dangerous, Church & Cathouse" in Vietnamese! Hit Saigon in Dec 70 & spent days bouncing around the G-2 & MI halls before moving on to IV CORPS Hqrs in Can Tho.

In 71 MG Cushman (ex CG Ft Devens) sent me to MACV Advisory Team in Soc Trang City, Ba Xuyen Province (3 from the bottom), or Jell-O land as we fondly called it during B-52 droppings!. Spent 3-months living in a mud wall & plywood team house in Hoa Tu District along w/ 1 or 2 other US guys, depending on the week. It was a great District, no roads in or out, so it was chopper or sampan, VNAF or any motor driven log we could commandeer (I did manage to get the CIB while in District.) Then 9 months as the Province S-2 Advisor in Soc Trang. BTW the Province Chiefs’ brother-in-law was the VC Province Chief. Great Intelligence story here! Returned to CONUS at Ft Bliss, TX in Jan 72, as the S-2 for The Air Defense Artillery Training Brigade thru 1975. Shades of Blue Day review... I was the Adjutant in a Brigade parade every two weeks! Then off to Ft Huachuca, AZ for MI Advance Course & then to Columbia College in MO for degree completion.

Sent to the 25th Infantry Division in Hawaii, 2nd Brigade Asst. S-2 & Division Tactical Surveillance Officer. Aloha Hawaii! A great assignment! Got TDY around the world from the lava rock ... New Zealand, Korea (again) Germany, France, Luxembourg, Netherlands, & England. Also to an Air Force school or two for air ground operations & barometer reading classes. Survived all the RIF's, but didn’t make Major, got a hair up the old rear end & split for civilian life after 13 years!

Oh, also brought home a new wife Again! Toured the US, west to east for several months & settled in Miami working for a division of Atlantic Richfield, ARCO. Transferred to Louisville, KY after a few years & then back to Miami w/ another transfer. Just like moving with the Army but w/ much better perks. They sold the company & closed the division in 89 & I took up w/ National Aluminum in Pittsburgh, PA. Ran the SE sales for ‘em. They sold & the company moved to Anniston, Alabama. Went with them & did some more sales again in the SE until they sold to some Arabs. Back to Miami & some consulting work and dabbling in antiques since then. Oh, wife no 3 now on board. Still travel to the homestead farm in PA yearly, fish the Keys a bit, & visit with the kids Monica in TX, Michelle in NY, Mimi in AL, & Matt in central FL.

Waiting to build the retirement house on the Big Island if all works out.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in April 04!
Post-OCS Biography – Jim Sullivan
Posted 3-04
After OCS I was stationed at Fort Carson, Colorado as a platoon leader with the 5th Division. During 1969, I was a Platoon leader with Delta Company 2-27 Wolfhounds, 25th Division.

In 1970, after my discharge, I married Janet Lake. We have been happily married for 34 years, and were blessed with three children: Alice (31), James Jr. (29), and Michael (22). Janet is the principal of one of Delaware’s most well regarded elementary schools, and is involved in PTA, school board, and child advocacy issues.

I returned to school in 1970 and received my Bachelors degree in Business Administration from Montclair State and an MBA from Seton Hall University in 1982. I began my professional career with Chubb and Sons, then joined Chase Manhattan Bank in 1978. I was challenged to develop many new skills and worked in a number of areas, finally becoming Vice President, where I managed operations and systems for the bank’s credit card business. In 1988 I joined MBNA, another well known financial services company, where I am currently Senior Executive Vice President responsible for Corporate Revenue. MBNA is the largest independent credit card company in the nation, and provides credit services to groups such as The Retired Officers Association, the Marines, etc.

Although our careers keep us pretty busy, we like to travel whenever time permits. Our favorite trip was the cruise to Greece.

I’ve had a long-term involvement with tennis and running, both for fitness and competition. For several years I have participated in various NASCAR racing schools, and I am looking forward to attending the Corvette racing school this April.
Post-OCS Biography - Mike O'Dea
Michael O’Dea is founder and Executive Director of the Christus Medicus Foundation (CMF), a not-for-profit organization, focused on reclaimimg Christ-centered healthcare by reforming corporate and public policy to allow God’s people a “conscientious choice” in selecting health insurance. From 1996 to August 1999 Mr. O’Dea was President/CEO of the ValuSure Corporation, a unique management resource and benefits consulting firm, specializing in prolife health care. From 1987 to 1996, he was providing management and brokerage service to hospitals, employers and associations. From 1978 to 1987, Mr. O’Dea was an independent manufacturers representative marketing specialty diagnostic chemistry, hematology and RIA reagents and equipment to the physician and hospital clinical laboratory. He began his career with Dow Chemical in 1970 where he served as a salesman, sales supervisor, product sales manager and district sales manager for their Health and Consumer Production Division. Mr. O’Dea was awarded top salesman of the year in 1973 and 1974 and top district sales manager in 1976 and 1977. Michael J. O’Dea is married and father of seven children, of which five are adopted, and two biological. Mr. O’Dea is a Roman Catholic and an active participant at St. Michael in Southfield, MI and serves as Chairman for Project Life. He founded and has been board member of Mother & Unborn Baby Care, a non-profit charitable organization that assists mothers faced with a crisis pregancy, since its inception in 1984. Out of the 750 charitable organizations nominated in 1995, Mother and Unborn Baby Care was selcted one of the three recipients of the Acton Institute’s Samaritan Award for their dedicated commitment to serve others. Along with his wife, Peggy, Mr. O’Dea has been housing and counseling pregnant mothers since 1980. He is a speaker for the pro-life cause with a special interest in speaking to young people and promoting adoption, chastity and natural family planning. Mr. O’Dea is an MBA graduate from the Unversity of Detroit. He entered the United States Army in 1967 as a Private, attended Officer Candidate School, where he was commissioned in 1968. He served both in the United States and Viet Nam, where he was awarded the Bronze Star.